Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Blood & Potatoes - Blut & Kartoffeln

There are happy days in my kitchen and there are less happy ones. Today was definitely one of the latter! For testing a NYBakers' recipe I decided to use the mandolin my husband bought a while ago. Usually I take the box grater. But having to grate a lot of potatoes I didn't listen to my better instincts, put the mandolin together and started with the first potato.

The tool to hold it wouldn't let me chop off more than two thirds and I didn't want to end up with one third of the potatoes wasted. So I took the potato in my hand and - nearly chopped off the tip of my finger. Hands, as most valuable human tools, are well supplied with blood, and my index finger was living proof of it. I yelled for my husband and sucked at my poor finger to keep it from dripping all over the place while he was looking for the Band-Aid (fortunately we have an emergency supply in a kitchen drawer).

When I was bandaged, Richard took over with some uplifting comments about certain clumsy people who don't know how to work with something as simple as a mandolin. And OUCH - there was another victim of the nasty thing, this time with a neatly delivered double cut. Our kitchen sink looked like a butcher's bowl when I finished wrapping Band-Aids around my husband's thumb.

Mixing the potato shreds that had nearly cost the lives of two innocent people with the other ingredients, I started wondering whether there was something wrong with the recipe. How should a mixture rise with so little flour and so much vegetable mass in it? And, of course, it didn't. It sat there, in its baking pan, and did nothing but slowly oozing more onion and potato juice, so that it got wetter and wetter.

With deep misgivings I put it into the oven. It came out looking nice, crisp and brown on top. But the mass under the crust was a disappointment, cooked potatoes without any special taste but a lot of salt. It had to go to the dogs!

The sacrifice of two perfectly healthy fingertips on the altar of culinary experiment had been in vain....


Es gibt gute Tage in meiner Küche und schlechte. Gestern war definitiv einer der letzteren! Für ein Testrezept der NYBakers beschloss ich, die Mandoline zu benutzen, die mein Mann vor einiger Zeit gekauft hatte. Normalerweise nehme ich die Reibe. Aber da ich eine Menge Kartoffeln zu reiben hatte, folgte ich nicht meinen gesunden Instinkt, sondern baute die Mandoline zusammen und griff nach der erste Kartoffel.

Der Haltegriff machte es unmöglich, mehr als 2/3 der Kartoffel zu verarbeiten, und ich wollte nicht mit einem Drittel Abfall dasitzen. Daher nahm ich die Kartoffel in die Hand und - säbelte beinahe meine Fingerspitze ab. Hände, als wertvollstes menschliches Werkzeug, sind sehr gut durchblutet, und mein Zeigefinger lieferte den Beweis dafür. Ich schrie nach meinem Mann und saugte an meinem armen Finger, damit er nicht die ganze Küche vollblutete, während Richard nach Pflastern suchte (glücklicherweise haben wir einen Notvorrat in einer Küchenschublade).

Als ich verarztet war, übernahm Richard die Sache mit ein paar aufbauenden Bemerkungen über gewisse tollpatschige Leute, die nicht wissen, wie man mit etwas so simplen wie einer Mandoline umgeht. Und AUTSCH - schon gab es ein weiteres Opfer des gemeinen Dings, diesmal mit einem sauberen Doppelschnitt. Unser Küchenwaschbecken sah aus wie eine Schlachterschüssel, als ich schliesslich damit fertig war, den Daumen meines Mannes zu verpflastern.

Als ich die Kartoffelspäne, die beinahe zwei Unschuldige das Leben gekostet hatten, mit den übrigen Zutaten zusammenrührte, fing ich mich an zu fragen, ob etwas mit dem Rezept nicht stimmen könnte. Wie sollte eine Mischung aus so wenig Mehl und soviel feuchter Gemüsemasse aufgehen? Und natürlich tat sie das auch nicht. Sie sass einfach in ihrer Backform, sonderte mehr und mehr Kartoffel- und Zwiebelsaft ab und wurde dabei nasser und nasser.

Mit grossen Vorbehalten stellte ich die Form in den Ofen. Als der Auflauf fertig war, sah er ganz gut aus, oben braun und kross. Aber die Masse unter der Kruste war eine Enttäuschung, gekochte Kartoffeln ohne speziellen Geschmack, nur reichlich salzig. Sie konnte nur "vor die Hunde gehen"!

Das Opfer zweier völlig gesunder Fingersptzen auf dem Altar kulinarischer Experimente war umsonst gewesen...

3 comments:

  1. Aloha from Hawaii, Hanseata. Noticing your remarks about selling to a local health foods store, I realized that I'm living in an area where that sort of baking idea might work for me. Assuming I know how to bake truly good bread, do you find this sort of selling to be worthwhile financially? I'd be interested in any ideas you might have about the process.
    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Gschultz, fortunately I'm more or less retired and don't have to live off my baking. But I thought of it and discussed it with my husband who has retail and restaurant experience. In a tourist area (like Bar Harbor and Hawaii) it should be doable.
    You probably would have to approach local B&Bs and restaurants, one little store like ours here with its limited turnover would not be enough to let you earn more than pocket money.
    You'll have to keep your overhead low, buying used equipment (like I did) and operating from your own premises, at least in the beginning.
    Unfortunately bread doesn't have a big profit margin, sandwiches and pastry are more profitable. And you must be, of course, willing to work your butt off...
    If you're interested: in the Fresh Loaf website was this idea extensively discussed with a lot of professional input. Maybe you'd like to check it out:
    http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/15562/selling-bread-my-home

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete